--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To assist children and adults who have difficulty reading. The use of colored overlays has been shown to help some individuals with dyslexia and other reading disabilities improve their functional reading skills. Some individuals are simply helped by having a masking tool to help isolate single words, sentences, or rows of sentences. You will need to work with your student to determine their individual preference regarding the use of color and the size of the reading window.
MATERIALS USED: Transparent file folders, Manila file folder, Tape and Scissors
1. Cut the transparent file folder into strips that are approximately 2 inches wide. One file folder will make 10 reading helpers of that color!
2. Cut the manila folder into strips that are approximately 2 inches wide. Before attaching the modification to the mouse, consider where to place it on the mouse’s left-button.
3. Fold the strip of manila folder in half.
4. Carefully cut a rectangle out of the manila folder. Cut from the closed end of the fold to the open end of the fold. You can vary the size of the reading window to suit the needs of your student.
5. Unfold the strip of manila folder. Place the strip of colored transparency over one ‘window’ of the manila folder.
6. Fold the other ‘window’ over the colored transparency. Tape the outside edges of the manila folder to keep the colored transparency in place.
7. The colored reading helper is ready for use!
Author: Oklahoma Assistive Technology Center