--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To create a weighted bowl designed to stay in place to prevent spilling and overturning for children with upper extremity, motor coordination disabilities such as cerebral palsy and brachial plexus injuries during meal times.
MATERIALS USED: Bowl with raised bottom, several pennies, glue or tape, large plastic container top, such as one used on a platter of food purchased in a grocery store
1. Turn the bowl upside down and place the pennies into the raised bottom.
2. Apply glue or tape to the raised edge of the bottom of the bowl.
3. Turn the large plastic container top upside down, so that the edges of the top face upward. Apply glue or tape to the center of plastic container top.
4. Place the glued section of the container top onto the bottom of bowl so it is firmly connected. Apply more glue or tape as needed.
5. Turn the bowl over so that the plastic container is on bottom. Your bowl is ready to use!
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Use the bowl during playtime for sorting activities.
Author: Pennsylvania’s Initiative on Assistive Technology (PIAT)