Materials: Tape Measure, Bench Vise, Router, Strait cut router bit, Drill, Jigsaw, Sandpaper.
- Measure the key to be used. Measure the thin edge of the key. With that measurement in mind, select a straight cutting router bit that is close to the thickness, without being larger than the key. This ensures a snug fit for the key. The gap can be expanded slightly with files or sandpaper.
- Clamp the dowel into the bench vice. The key turner will be about three inches long when finished so leave this much dowel sticking out of the vice.
- Drill a hole at the end of the dowel for a string or wire to run through the device to hang the device.
- Next make the notch for the head of the key. Using the router cut a notch 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch from the end of the dowel.
- Sand the dowel. If the notch does not fit the key sand down the edges at this time.